Unreal showed itself to be quite complicated. Luckily for us we saved it correctly from the beginning and never had a problem of having to redo the materials at all. For materials we used a neutral gray-ish wood for the seating and the bar, a black metal for the ceiling of the bar and glossy green tiles for its interior for a pop of colour and more relating material. We didn’t place any lights because assumed the bar would be used during the day and at night parks are usually closed, but now we understand that this reasoning was probably not enough. Once we placed the material it came to putting the design into the site, this was the more complicated part since it placed the intervention in individual components and we didn’t realise it placed it on a certain point instead of the way autocad does, where your mouse is so we had to redo it a couple times because we had accidentally placed it over itself a few times. When we made the video, I had previously made one with three keys very far apart and the video was very slow and malfunctioned, lagging and skipping so we tried with the keys closer together so when we tried to make the video it was too fast so we slowed down the frames per second in the render settings but for some reason, despite saving it it seemed to be at different speeds on the video icon on the site and as the saved file. The renders themselves were very simply done at least all it took was to place yourself but we hadn’t thought of making one at standing eye level unfortunately although it was nice to see the intervention with greenery and people around it.
When I got to see the project in VR, the most striking part for me was the materials, especially the green tiles and the way they showed the brightness and light of the surroundings. I have some getting used to still but it’s a great way to see a project, especially for someone who doesn’t have an architectural background.
For the panel I can give most of the credit to my partner who created the design and arrangement. I put together the revit files including an axonometric section where (with the help YouTube) we made a section cut and then moved the view to be in 3D, flipped the section cut, used that for a second view port. Placed them in the same file and made plotted that, editing it ok photoshop. Unfortunately the quality didn’t turn out so well so we will check out where that error was and try to upload it again.
Our presentation ran on for a little too long but we had a lot of intentions discussed between us and we’re a little excited about expressing them, and with our projects deliveries around the same time we were in that head space to justify everything.
Overall I thing using some kind of VR or AR is great; it’s a new technology and it’s great to be updated in such a field and it’s not in every class where the content is modern. Using materials and understanding how that works to change the different qualities with vectors and to see how good and realistic the quality can be. The only issue I had here was the problematic nature of unreal, I personally didn’t have a problem until it came to the space it takes but considering how many people did I think it can be considered an issue.
Photoshop was great to learn because that is useful in other subjects and all kinds of presentations too, I used it that night in my projects presentation (pictured below) and the greatest part about photoshop is how commonly it’s used and so easily and accessibly tutorials and help can be found:
projects use use for photoshop (The quality is poor unfortunately however)